Pages

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

When did this start happening?

When did it become acceptable to follow a man with a questionable future?

I met a very cute teenage couple on 2 days ago. They are all over each other and clearly in what they think is love. Puppy love that is, but, we all know they will not come to that realization until they are much older.
The boy is 17 years old and stands around 6'1 to 6'2. For lack of a better description, the boy is tall, dark and teenage handsome. (I personally think he's still growing into his face) He rocks a mowhawk and has teenage muscles, not to be confused with a chicken chest. He's a senior at a very well known high school in my area and is seems to be the star athlete on the football team. To high school girls, I'm pretty sure he's about cool as Rickey was on Boyz n the Hood in 1991.

The girl is a senior in high school school as well. She's you're average high school girl. I'm thinking, relative to Malinda Williams in The Wood.Cute and petite.

I'm talking to the both of them and I ask the boy where he wanted to go to school. He can't name one school specifically. He basically just said anywhere, he doesn't care. He just wants to play football and major in pre-law.... I doubt he knows that you cannot major in prelaw, but that's a completely different post). I asked the girl where she wants to go to school and she says, "wherever he goes." My immediate response was, "why?" Of course my friends start snickering but, I was so serious! The girl just really looked at me like, how could you ask me that? Why wouldn't I want to go to the same school as him?

I just let it go. No sense in me probing into the lives of a teenage couple that is probably destined for a break up after they realize that college life brings you different caliber of the opposite sex than you're used to high school.


After they left, I was sitting there wondering, Where did she get the  "grand idea.?" I wonder what her parents think about this? Is the girl watching too much Love and Hip Hop Basketball Girlfriends and Ex-wives of every region in the United States of America?

Does she see it as a strategic venture, as in, if we stay together through college and he gets drafted into the NFL, he'll marry me and we'll live happily ever after?I seriously think that she thinks she can pull a Savannah Brinson. I mean... she got a $300k ring out of King James after 9 years....still not married yet though. That's something to shoot for, right?

If this was your son or daughter, how would you address the situation? What would you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment