Pages

Friday, October 19, 2012

Man Type: The Name Dropper

I was at a conference recently in Houston. I noticed a guy looking at me, so it then became my personal mission to get him to talk to me.
I made sure to walk past him in my best  America’s Next Top Model walk ever, and he mumbled something inaudible to me. I passed him and acted like I didn’t hear him (in which, I really wasn’t acting since I actually did not know what on earth he said). When I came back around (since I clearly had an imaginary friend I was going to speak to since I needed a reason to walk past him), I stopped and spoke to him and he took it from there.
He was handsome. Average, well, maybe below average height for a man as I had on stilettos and he was shorter than me.  His name was Rick and he had a super deep voice. It was attractive, but it was borderline questionable as to, do you chain smoke alone at night?
He’s from Omaha, Nebraska, went to school in Houston, but currently lived in Los Angeles. ( I know, What the hell?) I couldn’t tell you what we talked about, but apparently, I intrigued him enough  for him to ask me for my phone number. I’m thinking, ok, he seems like a pretty decent guy. Someone to take me out when he’s in my city, since he made it clear that he travels a lot and would be more than happy to fly to come and see me.
The conference ends, and we go back to our own cities. We converse on the phone a few times and I kid you not, I started to feel like I was duped! Have you ever felt like you were getting someone’s representative? Like, the person that you met and the person you were talking to on the phone the first few times was not really the person that you thought they were? This is how I felt when I spoke to this guy! It was cool at first, and then wham! I get this completely different person! He turned out to be a name dropper! That is like the kiss of death!
This man could not get through a conversation without talking about a celebrity that he knew, met, or was friends with. From Paul Pierce, Ray J, Vivica Foxx, to Jay-Z. The list goes on! He swears being with those kinds of people was a part of his job and it wouldn’t be “natural” for him not to reference names. The entire time he’s explaining this, I’m thinking, what the bloody hell?! Who does that?  A normal person would not do this! When I talk about work to my friends, I’m not going to mention names of people they don’t know because they wouldn’t know who the freak I was talking about.
My thought process was, okay, we won’t talk about work. There are so many other things we can talk about. Apparently, I was wrong with that assumption as well, as he manages to weasel in references to his “celebrity” friends.
As I try to seem interested, I feel like I’m doing a piss poor job. I’m thinking, ok this will be the last time we speak, I’ll just hang in long enough until he gets tired of hearing his own voice. HA! Wrong again. He asks me on a date.
#FML
Have you ever met a guy like this? How would you handle the situation?

No comments:

Post a Comment