Pages

Friday, October 12, 2012

He likes it, so I like it, right?

To answer the headline question, Absolutely not!

I loathe seeing women, well, actually, men and women for that matter, change themselves, just because of who they may be seeing at the moment. So many times I've seen more women than men mostly, start pretending to like something, mainly because their boyfriend likes something. Basketball, football, darts, monster truck rallies, etc. Sound familiar?

I'm not for this, ever! Why should you have to pretend to like something, just because someone else does? Differences is what makes the world go around!

I will have to admit, there aren't too many things that I feel I may need to "pretend" to like, but, if there is something that I happen to not be "into", I'll make an honest attempt to take an interest in what you like, even if I need to say a little prayer before the activity takes place. Dating and relationships are about compromise right?

I'm not the biggest football fan, mainly because I don't always understand what the haites the referees are talking about half of the time, but the remainder of the times, it's actually quite intense and interesting. When hanging out with men, I'm fully aware I cannot ask random questions about the sport as to not annoy all the men in the room, but I do tend to save the more important questions for commercials and half time. Also, if watching a football game together is a means for us to spend quality time together, then I'll take it! I tend to make everything that I do fun, so it's never nearly as bad as I create it to be.

I must say, the one thing I did do that bored me stiff, was when I dated a guy that played flag football, and I had to pretend that I enjoyed it. I don't really like flag football (just because, there are too man rules of what you "can't" do to me),  but the flag football wasn't the problem. It was the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad news bears team he was a part of that irked the crap out of me. (In case you're wondering, no, this was not in college, this was grown men in their late twenties and thirties that were trying to re-live their NFL dreams via flag football). I think I have been more entertained at a 1st grade soccer game. You can imagine how excited I was when we stopped seeing each other! it was a dream come true! Ever since that debacle, I didn't do that again! Lesson learned!

Be yourself, that's always the policy for me, and if you don't like something that someone you're dating likes, it's ok! You're not going to like what everyone likes all the time.

Have you ever dated someone that you felt like you needed to pretend to like to keep them into you? Did it work out? What was the result?

No comments:

Post a Comment